Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hike of a Lifetime tomorrow!

This morning at breakfast I prayed that I would have a good day and have a great attitude, and I did! Today was my best and happiest day that I've had over here. This morning we did a monkey study for about 4 hours where we split up into groups to find a troupe of monkeys and study them the whole time. My group found a troupe of Howler Monkeys and they were pretty interesting to watch. At first they didn't like us and they threw twigs and fruit at us! But after a while they got used to us, but definitely kept their eyes down to see what we were doing. We saw about seven adults and four young. Two of the young were baby babies, and just clung on to their mom's back the whole time. It was so cute! I just wish I could've held one. For the most part all they did was eat, sleep and groom each other, but at one point they went from dead quiet to this really scary howling. It was so loud!! We read in our book that Howler Monkeys have a voice box 25x that of other monkeys its size so that's how they can achieve such a loud sound. They did that for about thirty minutes and then napped again. It was interesting to see. We had to sketch a couple of them and mine are terrible but I think I captured the basic scene. I'll have to try and post them later.

Then later we were supposed to go on a big hike to a waterfall, but the instructors cancelled it! I was overjoyed to say the least. My friend Rocio and I went to the beach and it was beautiful. I think water feeds my spirit because I just love it, and in any form. It is very therapeutic for me and brings me great joy. The waves were pretty crazy so Rocio stayed on the shore but of course I went out and rode in on some waves (without a body board); Some of it was pretty rough and rocky but I had a great time. I just love the water. I took a little break and gave myself an exfoliating scrub with the sand and then went in for round two. On the walk back we ran into a bunch of crabs..those things move FAST! It was fun to watch them. Then I went back to shower and had sand in just about every place you could think of. Haha! I think I got rid of most of it though.

We had our Spanish lesson, dinner and two talks and now I am about to go to bed. Tomorrow we leave for the biggest part of this trip: the 4 day, 3 night, 13 mile Corcovado Hike. We have breakfast at 5:30am and then we leave! At first I was really dreading it, but ever since my spirit was lifted today I have been looking at it as more of an adventure that has the potential to be pretty fun and definitely unforgettable either way. So now I am kind of excited. We had to pack our backpacks today though and mine is HEAVY, but I am pretty strong so hopefully I'll make it. We won't get back until Sunday afternoon, so as long as I'm living I'll post then! (I think I will be)

Lastly, I am having really bad luck with technology here. As I wrote before, my camera broke within the first couple days, but then I had my phone. Since then I've taken a ton of photos and videos on it but today something went wrong and all my data besides contacts got erased from my phone...it was pretty sad. But luckily it happened today so it didn't bother me too much. I will just have to save everything in my memory, or do a picture potluck with some of my friends on that are here I guess! I'm sure it will all work out :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment