Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Second & Third Day at Savegre

I've been having some trouble with my computer so I almost gave up on blogging, but its working right now! I just can't upload pictures, but oh well. The last two days have been pretty eventful. Yesterday we woke up early to go birding and spotted six Quetzales-four females and two males. They are big, colorful birds and we were really lucky to see so many. After that we took a long hike up to two different waterfalls...and so far those have been the highlight of my trip! I love the water. The only bad thing was that I wanted to get a closer look, but then I slipped and fell on the rocks and got myself pretty wet. I am fine, but my camera is not :(( I am hoping that it will work soon, but until then I'll just have to use my phone.

Today we were up at 6 am in order to hike up Las Robles before the rain came. I thought yesterday's hike was tough, but it was nothing compared to today!!!! It was 6 miles total with a huge incline and I almost thought I wasn't going to make it at times, but I did! It was beautiful. A couple parts were really muddy and slippery so of course, I fell again! This time it was kind of fun though. I have a total of five falls so far.
Later I was in the process of slipping so I grabbed onto a tree branch to stop myself and almost instantly after that my hand started tingling/stinging. I showed my teacher and he said I had grabbed a poisonous plant! I got two big red spots on my palm so he helped me clean it off with some water and then I put some hydrocortisone on it. A few minutes later my fingers went numb and got really cold. My whole hand was stinging! But about an hour later it was all back to normal. It was a lot more cool than scary experience, but I will definitely watch where I am grabbing from now on!

Tonight is our last night in Savegre and I am definitely going to miss this place. Yesterday, we got to meet the owner, Moreno, and he told us all about the history of Savegre. To make a long story short, his father and uncle got lost hunting in 1954 and found this land. It made them think of Paradise because it was so beautiful with its clear river and abundant trees, plants, animals and birds. They loved it so much that they decided they wanted to live there. In the next few years they developed crops to live off of and built a small shack on the land, and in 1959, when Moreno was seven years old, him and his family moved here. He talked a lot about how he was concerned that they were isolated from the rest of the world and that he would not be going to school like he had always planned. But what he found out was that he could learn so much by being out here. (There is a lot more to the story--it was very inspirational--I just don't have enough time to tell it all) But anyway, throughout the years people started to come here to fish. And then people started wanting to bird watch, and then people requested a place to eat, and then a place to stay. So him and his family built this resort to accommodate all of these people and now, if you could only see it, you would be amazed. It is one of the nicest places I have ever been to and after hearing Moreno's full story I appreciate it even more.

Even though a lot of the things we are doing are pretty much out of my element, I am having a really good time on this trip and learning a lot. For the first time in a long time, I am not stressed, and it is wonderful. It is a blessing to be here, I don't think I've felt like this for years so I am very thankful!




8 comments:

  1. Sounds like paradise! So glad you are having fun and relaxing! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like they are keeping you busy. Please try not to fall any more, and definitely no more poison plants. You should probably be in a Bubble! :) Anyway, I love you and miss you, and will be anxiuosly awaiting your return. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really probably should be in a bubble, its dangerous out here but definitely worth the fun!! Love you :)

      Delete
  3. Lauren, You need to go next time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please be careful. It is wonderful reading your updates and I am so glad you are having a wonderful experience. Love you and see you when you return, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be. Thank you for reading! Love you too and see you soon :)

      Delete
  5. I loved your blog! I love you more!

    ~Your Twin

    ReplyDelete